Sunday, November 27, 2011

Book Review: The Insider

The InsiderThe Insider by Reece Hirsch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Despite being about a lawyer, this isn't a legal thriller in the classic sense. That being said it was vaguely reminiscent of some of the good John Grisham novels. The best part of this book is that it was genuinely frightening with some of the best funny-scary villians in recent memory. Actually, that's not true; the best part of this books is the very beginning. Go read the first 25 pages of this book!

I also appreciated that the resolution at the end is complete and fairly satisfying, none of this, "well, I caught the bad guys but I'm going to be looking over my shoulder forever" nonsense. (Um, spoiler alert? although I thought it was pretty thoroughly foreshadowed.)

What's bad about this book? The plot gets a little convoluted in the second half, the author doesn't seem to know anything about how encryption works in the internet age, and the author makes some truly bizarre decisions about which characters to kill off when. Oh, yeah, and I figured out the mystery on like page 50.

But whatever, this is a beach-ready thriller that actually thrills for once and I liked it.



View all my reviews